This recipe has been on my list of ideas to make for a long time and since it is apple season, I thought, now is the time! It really turned out SO good! The sweet and tart apples are a perfect match for the rich, savory french toast. The cinnamon whipped cream is so easy and really adds so much great sweetness! My kids loved this one!
For this recipe, you can use your favorite bread or whatever you have on hand. Brioche would be super rich and delicious. I used a Healthy Life brand Keto bread, in the Hawaiian flavor. It reminds me of brioche, but is packed with fiber and protein. It tastes great too! If you want to make this recipe gluten free, make sure to use GF bread. I also suggest using a cinnamon sugar seasoning, but you can just mix cinnamon and sugar (or sugar substitute) to make the same thing.
I love using Lakanto products for when I am baking or making sweet treats. They make great sugar substitutes (I use the brown sugar here) as well as sugar free syrup! Perfect for this recipe. You can shop my link for 15% off. Shop HERE.
Here is what you will need:
- Bread – use your favorite. I used a keto version that is packed with fiber and protein. Use GF if needed.
- Cinnamon Sugar Seasoning – McCormick makes one
- Sugar or Sugar Substitute
- Syrup – for serving
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?! We’d love to see it! Please leave a comment or tag me in a photo on Instagram @sprinklesandthesmiths (click icon below)
Apple Pie French Toast with Cinnamon Whipped CreamCourse: BreakfastDifficulty: Easy
2 sliced bread (I used Healthy Life Hawaiian Keto)
1/2 tsp cinnamon & sugar seasoning
2 tbsp TruWhip whipped topping
1/2 tsp cinnamon & sugar
Lakanto Sugar Free Syrup for serving
- Cinnamon Apples
1 small apple, cored and diced
1 tbsp Lakanto brown sugar substitute
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Pinch of nutmeg
1/4 tsp cornstarch
1/4 cup water
1/4 tbsp butter
- Make the cinnamon apples: melt butter in a small sauce pan. Add apples and saute until they start to soften, 5 minutes. Sprinkle with brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add the cornstarch to the 1/4 cup water and whisk until combined. Add cornstarch mixture to pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes on low heat until apples are soft. Add additional water if needed. Set aside.
- For the french toast: whisk egg in a bowl and the 1/2 tsp of cinnamon sugar seasoning.
- Heat skillet over medium heat. Add a bit of butter to the pan or spray with cooking spray.
- Coat bread in egg mixture and saute in pan until golden. Remove to a plate.
- Combine TruWhip with 1/2 tsp cinnamon & sugar seasoning.
- Top French toast with apples, whipped topping, additional cinnamon & sugar, and syrup if desired.
- MFP Entry: Sprinkles and the Smiths Apple Pie French Toast