Like the classic, but healthier! I actually have no idea if this is even close to authentic, so don’t come at me ;), but it was really good! I had some super thin sliced chicken breasts and needed a recipe to use it up. These are flavorful and cheesy and perfect for a light dinner or lunch! They are super easy to make, you could even make the chicken and peppers ahead of time and reheat when you are melting the cheese.
I used Aunt Millie’s Carb Smart Hot Dog Buns, which is super high in fiber and lower in carbs, but feel free to use what you like! They are really great though, you can’t even tell they are a low carb bun! These sandwiches are super easy to make and don’t use a lot of ingredients, which is always a plus in my book! Being packed with protein and fiber, they will keep you full and satisfied!
Chicken CheesesteaksCourse: Dinner, LunchCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
8 oz thinly sliced chicken breasts, cut into strips
1/2 green bell pepper
1 small yellow onion, sliced into 1/4″ rings
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp kosher salt
6 tbsp shredded mozzarella
2 low carb hot dog buns (I use Aunt Millies Carb Smart)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Heat skillet over medium heat, spray with olive oil and add onions and peppers.
- Add 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning and 1/4 tsp garlic powder. Cook 15 minutes or so, until soft and starting to caramelize. Remove onto a plate.
- Spray skillet with olive oil and add chicken until it is cooked through.
- Add peppers and onions back in to warm through.
- Divide between 2 rolls and top each with 3 tbsp mozzarella cheese.
- Place sandwiches on a sheet pan and bake for 5 minutes, until cheese is melted. (you can also melt in the microwave)
- The chicken and pepper mixture makes quite a bit, you can either pile it high on your bun, eat on the side or make a third sandwich!