Like the classic, but healthier! I actually have no idea if this is even close to authentic, but it was really good! I had some super thin sliced chicken breast and needed a recipe to use it up so I came up with this one! These would be perfect for a picnic or a summer afternoon. I find myself craving theses sandwiches since I made them. I don’t know if I have ever tried an actual real Philly Cheesesteak! (I am a Midwesterner!)
I served these on @auntmilliesbread low carb buns, which are so good and you’d never know that they are healthier. They pack a ton of fiber, which is why I love them! (17g in one bun!) These sandwiches are super simple, quick to make, and don’t require a ton of ingredients. Plus they are filling and protein packed! Aunt Millie’s are one of my favorite bread products. They have really great low carb options, but I also love that they don’t use high fructose corn syrup. They are also based in my home state of Indiana!
This recipe could be made ahead and kept warm in a crockpot. Perfect for a party! To melt the cheese, you can warm in the oven or just pop them in the microwave for a few seconds. The oven will keep them crispier. If your chicken is hot enough, they might be fine without the extra step.
Chicken Philly CheesesteakCourse: Dinner, LunchCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
16 oz thinly sliced chicken breast, cut into 2″ strips
1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 medium yellow onion, cut into 1/4″ rings
2 tsp Italian sesasoning
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup shredded low fat mozzarella cheese
4 hot dog buns. Aunt Millie’s Carb Smart is what I use
- Heat skillet over medium heat, spray with olive oil and add onions and peppers.
- Add 1 tsp Italian seasoning and 1/2 tsp garlic powder.
- Cook 15 minutes or so until soft and starting to caramelize. Remove onto a plate.
- Spray with more olive oil and add chicken and remaining seasoning and then cook until chicken is cooked through.
- Add peppers and onions back in to warm through.
- Divide between 4 rolls (you may have some extra) and top each with 3 tbsp shredded mozzarella each.
- Place in the microwave for a few seconds to melt the cheese or place on a sheet pan in a 350 degree oven for a few minutes.
- The nutrition facts here assume Aunt Millie’s Carb Smart Buns. They are lower in carbs and high in fiber and taste great!