This one pot dinner is pretty quick to make and so creamy and delicious! It is a spin off of my Lemon Parmesan Orzo, just has a bit of a different flavor combination! I love that it is all made in one pan. That keeps the dishes down, which is always a bonus. There is no draining of the orzo pasta. It cooks kind of like a risotto here, which makes it nice and creamy! Plus, the feta adds additional creaminess! It is delightful!
Here, I used the Red Argentine Shrimp from Trader Joe’s. I love that they have no preservatives and are wild caught. Plus, they are fairly affordable. I believe Costco might also carry this type of shrimp, but any kind will do here! If you aren’t a shrimp fan, you can totally use chicken, or salmon would also be wonderful.
If you want to keep this meal gluten free, you can use Banza Rice, which is really a chickpea orzo. I use it all the time. It also adds protein and fiber to this meal. It’s slightly lower in carbs too.
Here is what you will need:
- Red Onion
- Green Bell Pepper
- Chicken Broth
- Fresh Dill
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?! We’d love to see it! Please leave a comment or tag me in a photo on Instagram @sprinklesandthesmiths (click icon below)
Creamy Greek Orzo with ShrimpCourse: DinnerCuisine: MediterraneanDifficulty: Easy
1 lb shrimp (raw, tail removed and deveined)
2/3 cup dry orzo
1/4 cup diced red onion
1/2 cup diced green pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup diced cherry tomatoes
2.5 cups low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup reduced fat feta
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Add shrimp. Season with salt and pepper. Once cooked through, move to a plate. Wipe skillet clean.
- Spray pan with olive oil and add red onion and green pepper. Saute for 5 minutes or so until starting to soften.
- Add dry orzo and garlic to pan, toast for 1 minute.
- Pour in the chicken broth, Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Stir occasionally until all liquid is absorbed and orzo is tender.
- Stir in feta, lemon juice, tomatoes and cook for another minute until feta is melted and combined. Taste and season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Divide on two plates and top with shrimp. Garnish with fresh dill.
- MFP Entry: Sprinkles and the Smiths Creamy Greek Orzo with Shrimp
- You can use Banza rice for a Gluten Free option.