While these take a bit more work, it is so worth it! These cheesy, baked potatoes are delicious and so much lighter than ones you might order in a restaurant. There is a secret ingredient! Can you guess it? It’s having a moment right now! It is cottage cheese! I blended it smooth, you can’t even tell it’s in there or taste it! It helps to add protein and reduce fat as we don’t need to add sour cream or butter or additional cheese. My oldest loved these so much, he wrote a note on the leftover potato with his name! 🙂
When you shop for your potatoes, look for the smallest ones. I picked the smallest my store had and they were still 10 oz each! For cottage cheese brands, I like Good Culture and Daisy. Both have only real ingredients with no additives. I use a mini food processor to whip the cottage cheese smooth. I think I got it for about $8 at Aldi and I use it all the time!
Here is what you will need:
- Russet Potatoes – about 10 oz each
- Cottage Cheese – Low fat
- Shredded Cheese – I also used low fat here, you can use what you like, the difference is negligible.
- Chives – they just go perfect on a baked potato!
These potatoes reheat really well. You can also bake your potatoes (and even scoop them out and prep them) ahead of time to cut back a bit on the time required to make them.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?! We’d love to see it! Please leave a comment or tag me in a photo on Instagram @sprinklesandthesmiths (click icon below)
Healthier Twice Baked PotatoesCourse: SidesDifficulty: Easy
2 small Russet Potatoes (10 oz/300g each)
1/2 cup lowfat cottage cheese (113g)
1/4 cup reduced fat shredded cheese (28g)
1/2 tsp salt
Chives for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Poke potatoes with a fork or knife, place on a baking sheet and spray with a little olive oil. Bake for 50 minutes or until soft.
- Remove potatoes from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. Slice in half and carefully scoop out the centers, leaving about 1/4″ around the edge so the skin still stays in tact.
- Place scooped out potato in a bowl. In a mini food processor, blend cottage cheese until smooth. Add to potatoes in bowl. Add salt and mix well.
- Divide potato mixture into the 4 potato halves and top with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Top with chives to serve!
- MFP Entry: Sprinkles and the Smiths Twice Baked Potatoes
- 1/2 potato = 1 serving