If I had to choose a type of salad to eat for the rest of my life, this might be it. I love an Asian inspired salad and one with peanut dressing really takes the cake! I just love how fresh and flavorful it is. There are so many veggies packed in here! It’s got great crunch too! This salad is dairy free and gluten free (if you use Tamari vs soy sauce). If you want to keep it vegetarian, just leave the chicken off. This would be great with shrimp too!
The sauce has a bunch of ingredients, but is pretty simple once you have them all ready. It is SO worth it though. This dressing is to die for. I adapted it from Ina Garten so you know it is good! I skinnied this up with PB2, which is powdered peanut butter. I love having PB2 on hand, especially for cooking. I still used form regular peanut butter to keep it rich, but I also cut back the oil, used a sugar substitute, and used sugar free ketchup. This lowers the carbs and the sugar! You can’t really even tell!
I really don’t love artificial sweeteners so when I cook I used monk fruit. It is plant based and doesn’t have aspartame, or any of those other sugar substitutes. Lakanto is a brand I have come to love. They carry things like sugar free syrup, brown and white sugar substitutes, cake and cookie mixes, etc. (I am not sponsored by them, haha, I just really like their stuff!)
You can prep this salad ahead of time, it holds up really well with the coleslaw and heartier veggies. Just wait to add the dressing. I would also recommend storing your peanut separate. They will get soggy if you keep them in the fridge with the salad.
I love keeping a jar of the peanut sauce in my fridge at all times! I put it on salads, chicken, make Asian inspired wraps, dip veggies, the sky is the limit! I could literally eat it with a spoon!
Thai Peanut Chopped SaladCourse: Salads, Lunch, DinnerCuisine: Thai, ChineseDifficulty: Easy
2 cups store bought coleslaw
12 oz cooked chicken breast, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped or sliced
2 Persian cucumbers, chopped or sliced
1 medium carrot, julienned
1/4 cup peanuts, chopped
3 green onions, sliced
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1 recipe peanut sauce
- Peanut Sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 tsp ginger, grated
1 1/2 tsp garlic, minced or grated
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
2/3 red onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup prepared PB2 (powdered peanut butter)
1/4 cup ketchup (or sugar free ketchup)
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tbsp sherry wine
1/4 cup monk fruit granulated sugar (I use Lakanto brand)
2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce or tamari for gluten free
1 1/2 tsp lime juice
- Cook olive oil, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, red onion, and red pepper flakes on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Whisk in red wine vinegar, monk fruit, soy sauce, ketchup, peanut butter, sherry, and lime juice.
- Cook 1 minute then remove from heat and cool. Use for salad dressing or dipping sauce.
- For salad, combine all veggies and top with peanut dressing, peanuts, and cilantro.
- This recipe makes plenty of dressing, which can be used as a dipping sauce or for salads or wraps. You can use it to top chicken satay or even peanut noodles. It will store in the fridge for up to a month. I stored mine in a mason jar. You can make salad ahead of time, it holds up well in the fridge. Store peanuts separately.