Just writing out this recipe on the blog is making me want to make it again! I hadn’t totally planned on posting this one. The photos aren’t the best, and it is really hard to make spaghetti squash look good, haha! But it really was so good, I couldn’t hold out on you guys!
This is really a very easy recipe, it does take a little time to cook the squash, but other than that, it comes together quickly. You can prep the squash ahead of time too! To make it easier to cut my spaghetti squash, I always poke some holes in it and microwave it for 2-3 minutes. It makes it softer and easier to cut through. We don’t want anyone losing a finger! I bake it in the oven for about 50 minutes. It is super easy and simple. I love having prepped spaghetti squash on hand. I am not a huge fan of spaghetti squash with marinara or a red sauce as I feel like it gets watery, but this cajun sauce is sooo good! I also love a peanut sauce on spaghetti squash!
You can use any color pepper you want here, all red, all green, anything goes! I also think this would be great with mushrooms, I just didn’t have any on hand. Feel free to add those or other veggies you want to clean out of your fridge! The cooked chicken makes this recipe super quick once the squash is cooked. I hope you love this creamy sauce with a little bit of heat! Feel free to add more or less cajun seasoning to your liking. The 1 tbsp isn’t overly spicy at all. So if you like it spicy, go for it!
Cajun Chicken Spaghetti SquashCourse: DinnerDifficulty: Easy
1 small spaghetti squash (need 300g cooked)
8 oz cooked chicken breast
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
1/3 cup diced onion
3 oz reduced fat cream cheese
1 cup 1% milk
1 tbsp cajun seasoning
Sliced green onion for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut spaghetti squash in half and scoop out seeds. Bake for 50 minutes, cut side down on a sheet pan. Allow to cool a bit and scoop out the strands.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, spray with olive oil and saute onions and peppers until soft.
- Add chicken and warm through.
- Pour the milk into the pan and bring to a low boil. Add the cream cheese and lower heat. Whisk until completely combined.
- Add cajun seasoning and whisk until combined.
- Add the cooked spaghetti squash to the mixture and toss to combine.
- Divide into two bowls and top with sliced green onions.
- MFP Entry: Sprinkles and the Smiths Cajun Chicken Spaghetti Squash
- One Serving is 471 grams