It’s the holidays and this salad has all the best winter in season flavors! Plus, it’s pretty enough to serve at your holiday gathering! It’s loaded with citrus fruits and pomegranate arils and topped with a citrus dijon vinaigrette, which is so easy to make. I love how easy it is, but it is still impressive looking.
You can feel free to use your favorite citrus fruits. Here I used navel oranges and ruby red grapefruit. Cara cara or blood oranges would be incredible here too, if you can find them! You can buy pomegranate arils already prepared and out of the skin, but they tend to be more expensive so I usually buy my own whole fruits. I have a video showing how to open them on my Instagram page highlights under ‘how to videos’. It is fairly easy!
To prepare your citrus fruits, you can slice them or you can supreme them. Supreming is when you slice each segment out. It is helpful because it removes the tougher layer that grapefruits typically have, but they don’t look like nice round wheels then. Supreming is a bit more advanced of a technique as well. Either way works!
Here is what you will need:
- Citrus Fruits– oranges, grapefruit, etc
- Pomegranate Arils
- Candied Pecans– I buy them already made
- Olive Oil
- Dijon Mustard
- Orange Juice or Oranges to Juice
- Lemon Juice
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?! We’d love to see it! Please leave a comment or tag me in a photo on Instagram @sprinklesandthesmiths (click icon below)
Holiday Citrus SaladCourse: SaladsDifficulty: Easy
5 oz baby arugula
1 large grapefruit
2 large oranges
1/2 cup candied pecans
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1/3 cup pomegranate arils
- Citrus Dijon Vinaigrette
1/2 small shallot, finely minced
Zest from one orange
1/4 cup juice from an orange
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
- Combine all vinaigrette ingredients in a small jar and shake until combined.
- Slice oranges and grapefruits into wheels and then slice off rinds. You can also supreme the oranges and grapefruit. This is a better option for the grapefruit as it removes the tougher membrane, but can be harder to do.
- Arrange the arugula, oranges, grapefruit, pecans, and pomegranate arils on a large platter. Top with shredded parmesan.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad and serve.
- MFP Entry: Sprinkles and the Smiths Holiday Citrus Salad