These easy and delicious egg bites are so awesome to have in the fridge! They make for a super easy morning. They are loaded with protein between the sausage, egg whites, and (surprise…) cottage cheese! If you choose to use jalapenos, like I did here, these pack a little heat and are super flavorful. If you want to make them more kid friendly, swap those jalapenos for bell peppers. They will still be great!
I have made egg bits a bunch of times and if you are using egg whites, they can end up a little tough. The best way to remediate that is to blend in some cottage cheese in with them! It makes them so silky smooth! You will never know it’s there! When I use jalapenos, I like to saute them in a little Everything but The Elote seasoning from Trader Joe’s. It goes so well and adds a little more Mexican flair! Otherwise salt and pepper or whatever seasoning you like would be great!
These are so great for meal prep. You can make them ahead and keep them in the fridge, or freeze them! They go fast in my house so we just keep them in the fridge for a few days until they disappear!
Here is what you will need:
- Egg Whites
- Cottage Cheese – I use low fat Daisy cottage cheese.
- Turkey Sausage – I used Butterball in the tube. I only used half, you can save or cook up the whole batch and then freeze it or use it for another recipe. Or make a double batch!
- Jalapeno or Bell Peppers – I used jalapeno and it gives these such great flavor. Swap for bell peppers to keep it kid friendly.
- Shredded Cheese – I use 2% Mexican blend.
- Seasoning – I like Everything but the Elote! Use what you love
- Chives – for garnish
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?! We’d love to see it! Please leave a comment or tag me in a photo on Instagram @sprinklesandthesmiths (click icon below)
Sausage & Pepper Egg BitesCourse: BreakfastDifficulty: Easy
7.5 oz raw turkey sausage (I used half a tube of the butterball turkey sausage)
2 cups egg whites
1 cup reduced fat cottage cheese (I used Daisy 2%)
1/2 cup 2% shredded cheese (I used a Mexican blend)
4 jalapenos, seeded and diced (or sub 1 large bell pepper)
Everything But the Elote Seasoning (optional)
Chives for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Cook turkey sausage, drain and set aside.
- Wipe out skillet and cook peppers with seasoning (Everything but the Elote, or whatever seasoning you like) until soft. Set aside.
- In a blender, combine egg whites, cottage cheese, and eggs. Mix until well combined.
- In a muffin tin (I like to use silicone muffin liners) divide peppers, cheese, and sausage. The sausage is about 8g per muffin tin. The cheese is about 3g per muffin tin.
- Pout egg mixture evenly into tins. It’s ok if they are full. They will puff up in the oven, but then sink back down. Top with chives.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until done through.
- MFP Entry: Sprinkles and the Smiths Sausage & Pepper Egg Bites