These easy and fun chicken skewers turned out really well! I love anything on a stick. I just think it is more fun and tastes better, haha! So why not those coconut and peanut Thai flavors?! The sauce on top is the best part! These are low carb, protein packed, and gluten free. You could serve these with some jasmine rice if you like!
For this recipe I used chicken thighs. If you haven’t had chicken thighs before, they are so much better than chicken breast, haha. They are much juicier and flavorful. Don’t be scared! Here, they work well because when you grill chicken it can sometimes seem dry. You can’t mess up chicken thighs, they are so easy to cook and you don’t have to worry about overcooking them. I marinated the chicken in coconut milk overnight, just for fun and to keep them juicy. Feel free to do that or skip it. If you do skip it and don’t want to open coconut milk for 2 tbsp for the sauce, substitute rice vinegar for the coconut milk.
The veggies here are bell peppers (whatever color you want) and green onions. I find that the bottom 1/2 to 1/3 of the green onions work best on the grill. You can save the dark greens for garnish or another dish!
Here is what you will need:
- Chicken Thighs – boneless, skinless, and trimmed of extra fat
- Bell Peppers – any color will do!
- Green Onions
- Powdered Peanut Butter – Lakanto makes one or PB too is another brand. You can use peanut butter if you don’t have it, understanding the macros will change.
- Coconut Milk – If you aren’t marinating, you can substitute it in the sauce with rice vinegar.
- Coconut Aminos – or low sodium soy sauce
- Brown Sugar – or brown sugar substitute
- Sriracha or Sambal Olek – you can adjust this to your taste preferences.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?! We’d love to see it! Please leave a comment or tag me in a photo on Instagram @sprinklesandthesmiths (click icon below)
Thai Inspired Chicken SkewersCourse: DinnerDifficulty: Easy
16 oz boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 can lite coconut milk, divided
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 bell pepper
4-5 green onions
- Peanut Sauce
1/4 cup powdered peanut butter
2 tbsp coconut aminos or low sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp coconut milk
1 tsp brown sugar
1/4-1/2 tsp Sriracha or Sambal Oelek
Cilantro for garnish
- Trim excess fat from chicken thighs and cut into 1″ pieces.
- Add chicken and coconut milk to a container to marinate, reserving 2 tbsp (you likely won’t need the whole thing, you can reserve any left over).
- Marinate for 3 hrs up to overnight.
- Combine ingredients for sauce with a whisk, set aside.
- Cut pepper into 1″ pieces.
- Cut green onions into 1″ pieces, reserving the tops. I usually only go about halfway to 3/4 way up the onion. The whites and light greens are best for grilling.
- Drain coconut milk from chicken. Add spices and rub them into the meat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Alternate chicken, peppers, and onions onto skewers.
- Heat grill over medium heat and cook until the kitchen is cooked through and veggies are done.
- Drizzle with sauce and garnish with cilantro.
- MFP Entry: Sprinkles and the Smiths Thai Inspired Chicken Skewers