I had a salad like this at a restaurant years ago and have always thought about how it was an unexpected and awesome combo! So I decided to recreate it. It’s light and protein packed and would make a great lunch for meal prep. Here, I used Lacinato kale. I trim out the stems as they are tough and then chop it. The secret to actually liking to eat a kale salad comes in the prep! I massage my kale with a little oil for a few minutes. It tenderizes the kale a bit and makes it easier to eat! I usually use olive oil, but this recipe has an Asian twist so I used sesame oil. If you haven’t tried it, it is a real game changer!
This salad is light on the carbs and high on the protein. I just used some chicken I had already grilled, which makes it easy. The dressing is so quick to make, I make it from scratch so many days a week for lunch. Takes just minutes!
Here is what you will need:
- Kale – Any kind will work, but I used Lacinato
- Cole Slaw Mix – You’ll find this in the bagged salad section of the grocery store
- Grilled Chicken – I had some leftover chicken I used. You can also use rotisserie chicken.
- Lime Juice
- Peanut Butter Powder – Lanakto makes one!
- Coconut Aminos – use this for GF, if not you can use low sodium soy sauce
- Rice Vinegar
- Brown Sugar Substitute – I love the Lakanto brand
- Sesame Oil
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?! We’d love to see it! Please leave a comment or tag me in a photo on Instagram @sprinklesandthesmiths (click icon below)
Kale Peanut Chicken SaladCourse: Salads, Lunch, DinnerDifficulty: Easy
3 cups kale, stems removed and chopped
1/2 cup coleslaw mix
4 oz grilled chicken breast
1/3 cup cucumbers, julienned
1/2 oz chopped peanuts
Juice of 1 lime
Cilantro for garnish
- Peanut Dressing
2 tbsp powdered peanut butter
1 tbsp coconut aminos (or low sodium soy sauce)
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp Lakanto brown sugar substitute
1/4 tsp sesame oil
- Start by massaging kale with a little bit of sesame oil for a few minutes. This will make the kale so much more tender. Not required, but it’s worth it!
- Mix all the ingredients for the peanut dressing in a small bowl with a whisk.
- Mix kale, coleslaw, chicken, and peanut dressing. Top with cilantro, peanuts, and a squeeze of lime.
- MFP Entry: Sprinkles and the Smiths Kale Peanut Chicken Salad