It’s candy cane season! Can you believe these whoopie pies have almost 10G of protein and only 131 calories?! They are really delicious too! They are such a fun and festive treat to make during the holidays. The soft chocolately cakes are filled with a decadent whipped cream filling. You can’t beat it! Plus, you are getting some protein in too! You could even make them without the candy canes any time of year.
I use Clean Simple Eats protein to bake. I think it works great and I love the flavors. Here I used Chocolate Brownie, but even plain vanilla will work well. For the filling, I always use Truwhip (it’s my fave!) It is not filled with any strange ingredients and tastes so good! We always have a tub on hand 🙂
There are a few steps to making these. You want to make sure to let your filling set up or it will be hard to work with. You also want to make sure your cakes are cool. These can be made ahead of time, however, I found the candy canes got soggy in the fridge. I’d leave them off if you want to make them ahead. We are them for a few days in the fridge and they were great. However, for maximum candy cane effect, I would eat them right away!
This is one of my first baking recipes that I have completely made from scratch, so I am pretty excited to share it! I am not a natural baker, so it was a challenge!
Candy Cane Whoopie PiesCourse: DessertDifficulty: Easy
- Dry Ingredients
2 scoops vanilla or chocolate protein powder
3/4 cup oat flour
3 tbsp dark cocoa powder
3 tbsp monk fruit sweetener or sugar substitute
1/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
- Wet Ingredients
1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
4 oz reduced fat cream cheese, softened
4 oz skinny Truwhip whipped topping
1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder
Crushed candy canes
- Mix filling ingredients with a hand mixer and place in the fridge to set
- Preheat oven to 350
- Combine dry ingredients with a whisk
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix with a hand mixer (don’t overmix)
- Using a small cookie scoop, place cake dough on a parchment or silicone mat lined cookie sheet. (Should make 20 rounds)
- Bake for 7 minutes or until cakes look set
- Remove from oven and allow cakes to cool
- Once cakes are cool and cookies are set, spread flat side of cake with filling, top with candy cane pieces and top with another cake.
- These will stay in the fridge for a few days, but the candy canes will get soggy. When using the candy canes, they are best eaten right away. Or leave the candy canes off and refrigerate.