Need a dinner that is ready when you get home from baseball/soccer/insert other activity here practice? This is perfect! It can be prepped ahead and served cold. It is great for a hot summer day or night. No turning on the oven needed!
This recipe has a special place in my heart. I remember my mom making this for us growing up and I loved it! Something about having something cold for dinner on a hot day, it was so good! I asked her for the recipe and I think she was like, oh I kinda just threw some things together! So this is my recreation. It definitely has more protein and veggies than I used to eat, because that is what I enjoy now. I added the fresh dill, but the peas were a staple. I love peas because they actually have some decent protein for a veggie! Plus, they are really good! They really remind me of spring!
Here is what you will need:
- Pasta – feel free to use a classic macaroni shape, or whatever you like! I chose cavatelli here because it was fun!
- Tuna – I use chunk light in water. I actually really like the Aldi tuna. This is a super affordable protien!
- Green Peas – I use frozen and just let them thaw on the counter as I am getting everything ready.
- Bell Peppers – use any color, I choose some red and some green here. Orange or yellow would be pretty in addition to the red too!
- Carrots – These add some sweetness and color as well as a little crunch!
- Nonfat Plain Greek Yogurt
- Light Mayo
- Champagne Vinegar– mild tasting, you could also use apple cider vinegar, or red wine vinegar
- Dijon Mustard
- Fresh Dill – I love dill in pasta salads. Fresh is the way to go in the summer! Chives would be a good substitute if you wanted!
You can chill this ahead of time to blend the flavors a bit or server right away. Just make sure your pasta is super cool before mixing it all together. If this sits for a while, it will be more dry. I actually like it this way, but if you want it to have more dressing you can either toss it when ready to serve or make another half batch of dressing to add to it when you are ready.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?! We’d love to see it! Please leave a comment or tag me in a photo on Instagram @sprinklesandthesmiths (click icon below)
Summer Tuna Macaroni SaladCourse: Dinner, LunchCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
8 oz dry pasta
4 cans chunk light tuna in water, drained
1 1/3 cup frozen peas, thawed
1 cup diced red bell peppers
1/2 cup diced green peppers
1/4 cup diced carrots
1/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
2 tbsp light mayo
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp champagne vinegar
2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
1 tsp salt
- Cook pasta according to directions, drain and rinse with cold water.
- Combine dressing ingredients.
- Combine pasta, tuna, veggies and dressing in a large bowl.
- Refrigerate to allow flavors to blend or serve right away.
- MFP Entry: Sprinkles and the Smiths Summer Tuna Macaroni Salad